Thursday, December 14, 2006

Meowy Christmas

I laid out my tree lights and tested them last night. I removed all the pesky blinkers, for once. Tooter stepped out and did the Meow Mix commercial. She's crazy like that. I screwed around with my camera and the lights. Not trying to be artsy, just messing around.






I remember in childhood how it seemed like it was a big deal whether the lights were going to work from year to year. Going through, painstakingly, light by light to find out which light was burned out. Why wouldn't they work if one was gone? Is it a series vs. parallel issue? Why would they make lights like that?? Wow, I also remember that we used to put c-7 lights on the tree. They had these individual aluminum reflectors shaped like stars and such on each light. It all put out a lot of heat. I vaguely remember having one of these...i think. You'd put it near your tree, where it could shine the slowly spinning color wheel on it and whatever else is in the room. I think that the effect was more spectacular if you had a flocked tree, or one made entirely of tinsel. As usual, I need more. A hallway full isn't enough.


Current music: Pet Shop Boys: I Want A Dog

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This will show you just how old I am. Grandma (your grandma, my mom) used to have one of those silver trees that you put together each year. And she had the color wheel thing. I used to lay by that tree for hours just watching the colors and shaking the packages. My how times have changed! We have a Rosemary tree for a Christmas tree this year - miserly in our old age as we can decorate it for inside and then plant it outside afterwards!
Love ya - AB

Anonymous said...

I am impressed at the work you are putting in! Our tree is fake and pre-lit.

Also - the pictures are cool!

Necia said...

Yep, fake, pre-lit tree here, too. I didn't even feel like putting it up this year so the girls did all of the work. I usually don't let them put any ornaments on(unless I tell them where to place them!). This year I let it all go, didn't care how that dang tree looked, and let the girls decorate it all by themselves. Guess what...it looks pretty! It is fun getting old, I am much more relaxed about crap that really doesn't matter anyway!

Now, are you having a Party so we can all see your pretty lights or not??? :)

The Andersons said...

Well, no tree (prelit or not) here...no ornaments...no sparkly lights...no fancy color wheels. Just lots and lots of soap.

Now, about this party: Besides a really cool house to show off, doesn't dear Ricky also have a significant upcoming bday? Hmmm??

Anonymous said...

I got to do the whole nine yards this year. Fake prelit tree at my house and beautiful real tree at Randy and Kim's. When you shop for a Christmas tree in North Carolina, it was cut the day before! Haley and Haston couldn't believe that Uncle Rick has a pickle ornament.