Friday, March 24, 2006

Got a honey jar stuck on my nose

2318 Rathgeber Road is going to be my new address! I signed a contract today (Friday). I've officially bought a lot and a new house. It seems like it's taken forever to get to this point. Maybe longer than that for those with whom I drove by this special lot on the corner of Stone Lake Drive and Rathgeber Road umpteen months ago. (Speculation is not yet over! In fact, it's probably been ratcheted up a level.) Then alone, driving by, and driving by, and driving by. Looking at it in the green of the summer and the brown of winter, seeing if it's different when it's 105 degrees as opposed to 103, checking to see what it looked like in a rainstorm and in then in the fog. Not worrying that it would be sold away before the right time, but knowing that if it were to be mine it would be there. (But wondering, after all, it if were to be mine!) And now, after a hold and wait, it is! Recognizing it's through nothing that I've accomplished, but as a result of it being poured for me.

Me on the lot from the west. There's an empty lot between mine and the existing house in the background:


From the southwest corner. Of course--love the lamp post. I don't think I'll be throwing any rocks at the bulb. Surely those days are past. The house in the background to my right is my katty corner backyard neighbor:


You can't really tell anything from this picture. Actually, you probably can't tell anything from any of these, but humor me. The west side of the house will be in line with that of the distant one in the background. The lot is 150' deep and 100' wide:


Across the street looking South, which would be out the front door. There are some estates over there with nicely cleared out land that is interspersed with wild mesquites. I think it's beautiful in the summer, and it smells great. It smells sweet and a bit sticky like the fields we used to play in. (Not to be confused with fields in North Carolina, which smell sweetly of dookie):


Accidentally shooting myself when setting the timer on the cam. Rickerrific!


A shout out to Shanny Skillz who pounced on my new profile photo (since modified slightly) that was taken in post-signing jubilation at the site.

current music: Lobo: Me and You and a Dog Named Boo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My comment disappeared!

But really - I am so excited for you! Sarah and I shared the news together (at swimming) and were both beaming from ear to ear.

It is especially encouraging to hear your account of the events that led you to the purchase. The Grace Orientation shines through!

Just love it.

Anonymous said...

and

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am just busting out all over with excitement and pride for you. Everything looks wonderful. Just be sure there will be enough room for me to come visit. I will need a comfy room, my own bathroom, hot tub...

I love you and you deserve the best. Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Congratulations, Rick!

Baskinoid #3 said...

Awesome!!! Yeah, I think I drove by the lot when I first heard you were going for it.... you know, way back in like '67 or '68 :D.

Just kidding of course. I definitely approve. You need to have a huge bar-b-que pit and a place for bon fires!! Are you in city limits? Oh well, it doesnt matter anyway, we got connections with Cops and Firefighters all up in this mug.

When did Shannon get a rapper name? I want a rapper name. Its just something about those Killingsworth ladies. Even stephen has dubbed Carson "Sizzle" (see MySpace Comments).