Saturday, March 11, 2006

March Madness!

...of another kind. I'm going mad already and nothing's been decided yet. I'm used to being the provider and not necessarily the decision maker. I've made a minor decision or two. Those in my immediate periphery would laugh, since I ask opinions of anyone that can form a complete sentence. Decisions? One side of my kitchen will look faintly like this:

But omit the corner pantry and the somewhat useless counter at the very end of the kitchen. Include double oven and microwave/vent hood over the stove. I want a gas stove. Does anyone have an opinion on the difference between an electric or gas double oven? I mention to my mother that those are all drawers from the oven to the pantry.

The other side has a space for the refrigerator at the far corner with an independent ice maker next to it. The counter with view of the living room will be about a foot shorter. I don't think that the island will include nonsense room for display.

I do want a built in entertainment center in the living room. This is an example:

I've moved the fireplace to the corner like this example. Who buys a television this small? Not me! I'll have to decide on my TV way beforehand, and then we'll build cabinetry around it. Hopefully, I'll be able to hide the Gamecube and Xbox 360 on some shelves underneath the movie screen. That's a funny thing to remember for anyone attending UT in the 80's. Dobie Theater in Dobie Center, a.k.a. the "Hebrew Hotel" showed movies on screens that were about the size of the TV I want. That wouldn't go over today, at all. I know I watched "Lost in America" there. "Say it! Say it! Say 'I lost the nest-egg.' Go on, say it!" Oh, man. This is classic good stuff. Check it out!

Current music: Pineapple Rag/Gladiolus Rag: Marvin Hamlisch (Soundtrack to "The Sting")

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, i have to admit the corner fireplace looks... ok! the kitchen definitly must have gas and not electric. ive had both and I love love love my gas stove, its so easy to cook with gas. The cabinetry looks beautiful, will it be like that?

Anonymous said...

Wow! I feel in love with the kitchen all over again.

Enough of the planning...let's build.

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled that you actually remembered that I said to have some drawers in the kitchen!!

Gas is absolutely the best way to go for both cooking and baking. Remember how I used to put your tennis shoes in the gas oven to dry? Of course these days, gas ovens have electric starters, so there is no pilot light to keep the oven warm. But, I digress...

If you keep the display shelves at the end of the island, it will be a great place for cookbooks. You do plan to cook, don't you??

I like the entertainment center -- it keeps things organized.

And you are listening to some great music these days -- Dad and I still have that album. Yes, I said album, not tape, not CD.

Lunch is over. Gotta go.

Anonymous said...

I will have to agree that a gas oven is much better than electric!

Baskinoid #3 said...

Man, I'm a little tardy on this one but do not fear!! You'll still get my 2 cents... now, only to try hard to complete my sentences so you will actually value my input ;).

Kitchen...Good. Gas...Great.

I guess the built-in entertainment center is cool if thats what you are set on, but if you go with this living room, here are my suggestions. Remove the shelves to the left and right and the cabinets above the hole for the TV and just make one huge hole for your TV. By my estimates, that should allow for about an 8 foot wide by 5-6 foot tall TV. Even with a conservative estimate, that allows for a 113" display!!!!

Lastly, whatever you do, you gotta keep the fake bonzai tree above the fireplace ;)

Jorin.