Saturday, April 01, 2006

Back in bidness again

Now then, on Thursday during my lunch hour, Randy W. called and said we had a problem. He had been under the impression that we had to build 40 feet off Rathgeber and 25 off of Stone Lake. Instead, it was the other way--25 off Rathgeber and 40 off Stone Lake! That meant that my house was 13 feet too wide for the lot. I don't think that they thought about it when they made these limits for a house facing Rathgeber. Either that, or they wanted someone to build a hallway house, 'cos it was gonna need to be long and skinny. Randy called the prinicple owner and met with him Thursday after work. When he called me, things didn't look great for me keeping this lot. The owner's solution was for me to buy a wider lot in a less attractive spot, at half again the price. Sure!!! Why not? I thought I was going to have to write a post titled "It weren't! (to be mine). But, Randy met with more of the land owners and they must've realized that this lot wasn't meant for a house that far away from the street, because they let us bend the rule.

It was going to be a real drag searching for a new lot. It was really going to be a drag for Randy, I imagine, because that was one of the very first questions that I had for him at our first meeting. "Will this house fit on this lot?" I wasn't going to accept responsibility for this mistake, and I sure wasn't going to go back to the drawing board for a two-story bread box house to get the square footage I wanted!

And Friday afternoon!:


They had started to square up the area of the foundation:


And a man in a backhoe started leveling the land. Seeing something there besides the usual empty lot was a different feeling, and I loved it. Words escape me right now, so I'll let that be it.


current music: Seals & Crofts: Get Closer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, THAT was a fun test. ;)

Schlick said...

Actually, I don't. Get Closer was playing on shuffle and Dig for Fire satisfying my latest Pixies jones.

You're still nerdier.