Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Bittersweet Me

I haven't felt like making a post for several days. Thankfully, the people working on my house haven't been as unproductive. The highlights since, roughly, around the time I was fretting over nuances of red brick:

They finished roughing in the plumbing...


I got a SOLD sign! Here modeled by Lou...


They dumped lotsa dirt...


And Tina and I reminisced of childhood, when we would've been (and very much were) all over the dirt. Man, I remember me, R & R being totally caked in filth and having to take all our clothes off on the back porch, and Mom hosing us down. Laura joined in in a small way (not pictured). Then Tina forgot about reminiscing all together and transformed into parent mode, clucking at us to get off the piles...


They framed the outline of the foundation, and it was a pleasure to see the real form of the house. Check out the deep footings for the foundation!


Plenty deep and plenty of rebar. Randy W has told me several times that his houses will be here a hundred years, long after we're gone. I've bit my tongue through, clutching my pearls on that point. Alas, Babylon!


View from the garage, across the back porch, toward my bedroom. Almost ready for some Messicans...


This rig was there the morning of Friday the 14th. You could see it from Southwest Parkway!


I can't believe I let two people talk me out of cement flooring.






Later that day it was hard, but still hot from setting. Gee, Skillz and me...


I still think cement floors are nice. Look at that! Just get a polish on it. I like the industrial look. The consulting expert and me...


The whole slab, minus the garage...


Tuesday, standing in the front door...


The neighborhood's running down already. Have you ever noticed Sheri looks a lot like Kim Deal, but a lot hotter? *Here comes your man* Check out the purty trees across the street, all leafed up for Spring. That's the view I was talking about in my post on what I thought was nice about the land.


And a picture with the forms removed, today...


And the Friday that they poured the foundation, I let them take away my baby dog. I know it was the right decision at the right time, but it just totally sucks. I hate coming home to this house with him not here. Everyone that knows Angus knew he was the perfect pet for me "Did I find you, or you find me?" :O) He was sweet, soft, gentle, and so handsome. I'm glad I was graced out with his love through lots of very very hard times, and back again to +H happiness.

And I know this is really queer, but this is to him:
"Out of all those kinds of people, you got a face with a view. I'm just an animal looking for a home, and we share the same space for a minute or two. And you love me 'til my heart stops, love me 'til I'm dead. Eyes that light up, eyes look through you, cover up the blank spots, hit me on the head, aah ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh"

current music: Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures of the progress! Yes, cement floors are way cool. If I ever get the chance - I'm gettin'em.

We will all miss Angus, and we understand the mourning of a lost pet. He was a great dog and friend!

Necia said...

Oh Ricky, I am so sorry. I never met Angus but I am bawling my head off just reading this. Yes, the ugly cry and everything.

Ok, blew my nose and am better. Your foundation looks great. Kudos for holding onto your pearls, it isn't easy.

P.S. The girls want to know if you are going to make Scary faces this Friday night to keep them out of the garage?

Anonymous said...

Okay,do the cement floors....

Sweet tribute.

I miss Angus very much.

Anonymous said...

Losing a pet is very hard. We will all miss Angus.

Baskinoid #3 said...

Cool post. I can honestly say that I remember back lo those many years to when you guys got Angus. I don't remember all about it, but I remember thinking it was cool that you got a beagle puppy and the name "Angus" rocked. He will be missed.

I'm all about the concrete floors....sure, they're cold in the winter, but who cares...when your house is as big as Sam's Club, why not have the concrete floors?! While youre at it, go ahead and leave the ceilings off for that extra industrial look.

Whats up with these MSN Music links?!? iTunes killed the Microsoft Star. I want my iTunes!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ricky. You've got me bawling too. I'm so sorry. I know it's part of owning these little guys, but man is it hard!

Another vote here for cement floors--I've seen some really pretty ones. Talk about low maintenance! And you can always use area rugs in the winter if your tootsies get cold.

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry about Angus. He was one of the coolest dogs I ever met!! (I always wanted a beagle!)

As for the concrete floors, it is all the rave, and many people even paint it. If it cracks you could always go back and cover it with something. I, however, am with Tina and Laura on this one. Go with tile and wood. It will feel more like a home and less like Sam's Club.

Anonymous said...

Ricky,
I am so sorry about Angus. What a love he was. Now you got your old AB sitting here blubbering at the computer. Oh, well. A good cry never hurt anyone.

House looks great. I just may have to make another trip - next time a little past Arlington!
Love ya!